Search This Blog

Friday, September 4, 2015

Social life at the pool

Unable to fall asleep last night, I began to think of all the fabulous men and women I have met at the pool.  Going early every morning at roughly the same time, I have met serious working girls (no, not that kind) in the locker room -- all in great shape.  Then I began to count the number I have become closer with and met outside the pool for lunch or coffee.  Ten!  That's amazing to me because only two socialize together; the rest I know one-on-one and they don't really know each other. 

My late mother taught me one invaluable skill.  "Speak to a person," she would admonish me under her breath, with a huge smile pasted on her face.  This started when I was very young, as we walked into a roomful of strangers.  I was maybe three or four, but was expected to proactively engage adults in conversation, which I did because she gave me no choice.  Being "shy" was simply another word for "rude" and was not permitted.  This ability to talk with anyone anywhere led me to my first career as a journalist, where I had to walk into Toronto conference rooms filled with hundreds of strangers, walk up to them, stick out my hand, introduce myself and get the story.  I was in my early twenties. 

With my acquaintances at the pool I do the same thing.  I "interview" them about their work, their lives, their kids, their parents, their husbands, their ex's and they open up.  People love to chat about what they're up to, no exceptions. 

My pool buddies are all younger than I -- some much -- ranging in age from their twenties to their fifties.  I am the oldest by far and flattered they deign to consider me acceptable enough to hang out with.  One's a doctor, two are nurses, another a university professor, one the head of "Clinique" here, one a fire-fighter, two are teachers, one an accountant and one a retired professional.  No slouches they.

However, were I not a decent swimmer, other than "hi", they probably wouldn't speak much to me.  There is a certain camaraderie in the lanes that only occurs if you can swim well and obey lane etiquette.  Woe to those unfortunates who don't. 

Oh, and there is one man I have had lunch with; the rest of the males I chat and joke with only in the water.  Seems to be a gender line, which is rarely crossed.  Nevertheless, they are a great group of people.      

No comments:

Post a Comment