Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2019

RIP

I was fortunate enough to have worked with Michael Wilson and his staff when Canada negotiated the original NAFTA and then the GST.  He has gone and I say, Rest in Peace.  He was a true gentleman, very civilized and those of us working on those two vitally-important files appreciated his approach, reflected in how we worked to very tight deadlines with a number of departments (and the US in the case of NAFTA) to implement those programs.

I am extremely proud of having worked on both these initiatives.  What used to gall me were the people I had to work with when Customs and Excise was (disastrously -- thank you Pierre Gravelle) rolled into Revenue Canada.  I ended up working for women who had started at a tax office counter and ended up in headquarters, having done absolutely nothing else in their entire careers.  There I was, with a ton of broad experience in both the private and public sectors, having to put up with female bean counters!  It was not pleasant and convinced me once again that women are their own worst enemies.

I would like to dedicate this to these women:
  • Sue W
  • Marj O
  • Monica J-K
  • Dianne G and
  • Helene B
_________________________________________

Saw an interview with Kevin O'Leary in which he slammed Trudeau, Morneau and Freeland for being the authors of Canada's disastrous fall into financial ruin.  Yep, you can certainly blame those three and I hope the latest scandal -- SNC Lavalin meddling -- drags Butts and Telford into the witness box.  Will this bring down the Liberals?  My guess is they will get a minority government because a) Scheer is not attractive to voters, and b) It will be the millennials and ethnics who back Trudeau -- just as they blindly back Calgary Mayor Nenshi as he throws our money into many black holes with his fits of unbridled hubris. 

Oh dear, oh dear.  

No comments:

Post a Comment