Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2022

$3,730.67

That's how much I just saved by going to a local garage, instead of the Honda dealer.  My ancient, but much-loved, 2,000 Honda Civic five-speed hatchback, began leaking gasoline a while ago.  So, I took it to the local Honda dealer who charged me $75 to tell me the repair would be $3,930.67 and that the car was UNSAFE AND THAT I WOULD HAVE TO SIGN A WAIVER BEFORE THEY WOULD LET ME DRIVE IT OFF THE LOT!!!

They estimated the labour to be $3,000 because the brake line was also leaking.  Parts would apparently be $930, but because of the hours-and-hours-and-hours they would have to spend fixing both, the tally would eventually hit almost $ 4K!  "That's ludicrous," I exclaimed as I left, indignation flaring, but bum tucked safely in my beloved vehicle.  And no, I did not die while driving it home.

Funnily enough, they also told me that two of their mechanics wanted to buy it and one was willing to pay a whopping $400!!!!!  Ludicrous was again the word I used at this news.  

So, I drove over to where I should have gone in the first place -- a small mom-and-pop garage I have often used since moving here.  Why I didn't go there in the first place I have no clue, but laziness pops into my head.  The dealer was so much closer.  What did Steve at the garage tell me?  "We have to repair one of the hoses, but the tank itself is fine.  The labour will be about $150 -- not $900! -- and then just the hose."  Can you believe that??!!??!!  The dealer tried to rip me off because to them I am just an old lady without a clue.  They wanted to fleece me and take my car away.

That's unconscionable.  Happily, I await the return of my little car in running order.  I am sure it misses me as much as I it.  (Note:  You'll see I have omitted the second "miss"; you don't need it.)       

No comments:

Post a Comment