Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2024

Another............

 The Joys of a Girls’ Weekend

We had a lovely time!
I’ll have a Shirley Temple, please,” said granddaughter to the server the other day.  We were out on a “Girls’ Weekend”, enjoying lunch at a grownup restaurant.  Nine, but going on 21, this young lady had suggested this weekend for just the two of us and naturally I jumped at the chance.  It won’t be long before I am the last person she wants to hang out with and I know it.

We’ve had lots of sleepovers, but never an entire ‘Girls’ Weekend’.  That meant no husband, parents or brothers allowed.  What a treat!  

This was all happening because we had decamped to Calgary from Ottawa 12 years ago, when the first grandchild, her older brother, was on the way.  “I’m moving to Calgary,” I announced to my shocked husband at the time.  “What?  Are you crazy?  Our whole life is here, all our friends, our activities.  Do you realize what a mess the move will be?  And talk about expensive!  Are you sure?” he replied.  “Yes, I’m sure, but if you don’t want to move, I’ll visit you in Ottawa every six months or so.  But I’m moving.

“With all our son-in-law's family in Alberta and Calgary, do you really think I want to be an unknown grandma, who pops in every few months, while the other grandma is down the street is the “real” one?  Not happening,” I explained.  And so we moved.

When the second child – this one – was coming, I accompanied daughter to her ultrasound appointment to look after my grandson.  When we found out a girl was on the way, I let out a little yell in the waiting room.  How could we get this fortunate, one of each?!  And so began our journey with two grands.  

Retired, I had had a long career before we moved or should I say series of jobs, in both the private and public sectors and was now able to enjoy the fruits of many years in jobs I both loved and loathed.  Keeping an eye on the big picture, i.e., retirement, was the trick.  

After moving out West, my only job now is being a grandma and so far, it’s been the most rewarding.  I think women have an advantage because they must, by necessity, be able to juggle being a mother and an employee, while men of my generation – boomers – seem to focus solely on the job part.  Stepping out of the office and into being a grandma is much easier for us because we get our self-esteem from both places.

The “Girls’ Weekend” granddaughter has gone through many phases.  Initially as a toddler, she often sat on the floor with my makeup bag, experimenting with various shades of eyeshadow.  She also loved dressing up in my high heels and sequined frocks.  Did we have a girly-girl developing?  

As time went on, however, sports became the focus and the “girly” part, eyeshadow and high heels gave way to practical clothes and footwear designed for the sport.  Now it’s water polo, soccer and biathlon that dictate what she wears, where we go and what we do.  I know, I know, in my day in the fifties and sixties, biathlon, water polo?  Not a chance.  All we girls had were tamer and less fun versions of boys’ basketball and volleyball – plus Scottish dancing, for some bizarre reason?

So here we finally were, just the two of us, enjoying a leisurely lunch, washed down with her Shirley Temple and my spritzer.  Her Dad had dropped her off earlier after biathlon practice and in she walked with her weekend clothes.  I too was dressed up and had actually applied makeup – something I rarely do, now that I am retired.  It has to be a pretty special occasion, which this one was.

As we got up to leave after lunch, she suggested a visit to a nearby store to see what goodies they might have.  Was this the real reason for the lunch?  So I could buy a few things Mum had said no to?  Didn’t matter.  I obliged and we emerged with two new outfits and a pair of earrings.  She was thrilled.

A side trip to 'Winners'

Dinner was next.  Where to?  How about Chinese, she suggested.  So, off we went to a local Dim Sum restaurant where we sampled many delightful morsels presented in bamboo baskets.  She had never enjoyed the delights of Dim Sum and loved it.  She also marveled at all the servers who made such a fuss over her.  

“Nancy, is this your granddaughter?” they asked.  I tend to talk to servers wherever we go, so follow-up visits are always met with a welcoming hello.  Oh, and it also helps to tip well, something I learned from my parents and inlaws.  Instead of just being one voice at a large family gathering, this time granddaughter was the centre of attention.  Who doesn’t love that?

When it was time to go to bed, I informed my husband that he had to sleep in the guest room because this was a “Girls’ Weekend” and he was banished thereto.  After a good sleep – in spite of the odd kick in the night – it was time for bacon and pancakes.  Is it the syrup that is the main attraction?  Probably.  

Sadly, it was time to drop her back home.  But what a weekend it was.  Lots of conversations that would never have happened, lots of news on her life, her friends and her many activities.  The photos we took will serve to remind me that once upon a time, this little lady and I discovered things about each other one special weekend that have given me a whole new appreciation of the life of a budding young lady who happens to be my granddaughter.  And a big thank you to Shirley Temple, who graciously joined us.        


1 comment:

  1. it is wonderful Nancy that you are able to make these memories with your granddaughter and that it was her idea in the first place.

    ReplyDelete