Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

So, anyway...........

...we went to another reception at the British High Commission this evening. we have been going to these for various functions since the mid-nineties and have enjoyed them immensely. We have known four sets of High Commissioners and their wives and have made friends with two sets. All of the male high commissioners were/are wonderful; only two of the four wives have been nice. But, enough about bitches in the foreign service. I am looking forward to a lovely dinner at our golf club with the current high commissioner and his charming wife in July. They are just super people and very down-to-earth.

Whenever we go to Earnscliffe I am struck by the fact that this is the home of Canada's first Prime Minister, Sir John A. MacDonald. The British Government has elevated his presence in the residence, but it is appalling that the Brit's own his home. Can you imagine the United States allowing George Washington's home to be the residence of a foreign state!!??!! Would never happen. Canada should spend whatever it costs to buy back this home from Britain -- no matter the cost. There is a bust of Sir John A. in the foyer and whenever I pass it, I silently apologize for our having forfeited his abode. I am sure his ghost haunts the resident High Commissioner!

Over the years and the many receptions, I have come to know all the waitresses at Earnscliffe and hence, get all the best canapes. Seriously, you have to pay attention to the waiters and waitresses to get the best food. I always tell them I am not on a diet and I always remember their names. That is the key.

I plan to weigh in on the firing of the general who dallied with a subordinate. Not enough time right now. Suffice to say, he had it coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment