Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Get your own

We have an aquaintance who always wants to borrow my husband. To her I say: get your own. Never married herself, she has hedged her bets for forty years by dating when young, almost getting married, but calling it off when she inherited a ton of money, keeping her friends for life in the sisterhood, picking up her nieces and nephews when she needed children for an occasion...etc. Now she has taken to inviting Brian here and there without inviting me. Now, that takes HUGE GALL. She used to include me, but now does not. I guess we both figured out a while ago that we were not alike -- although we appeared to have much in common for the first couple of years after we met. Not sure when that moment of truth burst forth, but women know instantly. Brian doesn't go to the BBQs and social events she slides onto the agenda, but he does play tennis with her because he loves tennis. And I don't mind because I don't play any longer and we may get some business out of the relationship. But it does take a lot of nerve to borrow people's husbands. I guess living with one would be too difficult. As I have said, marriage is an act of will.

Wifely was the watch-word today. I sewed all day, making a new Christmas tablecloth and napkins. Not that it is difficult, just straight sewing. But there's a lot of it when you include the borders and panels and other accoutrements I insist on.

I did manage to dash off a letter to the editor this morning and they called me to say they wanted to include it. It was about the cancelling of the long-form census. I said:

"It is breathtakingly Canadian that many of the same people citing privacy issues in objecting to the long-form census benefit mightily from the information it contains. The data obtained from the information we provide in the census drives federal and provincial social policy and the resultant benefits heaped upon Canadians. If you don't like the census, then we'd better scrap the tax form too. The personal and "private" information in the latter is much more confidential. But since taxes make the country go 'round, pay them and tick the census form boxes that decide where the money goes. Paying taxes and filling in the census are two of the greatest privileges all Canadians enjoy." Yours truly..........

I'll let you know if they publish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment