Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

D.H. Lawrence I am not

Just read a short story by D.H. Lawrence. What a great writer. It was called 'The Horse Dealer's Daughter' and dealt with relationships between men and women, as he usually did. But it was very erotic without ever getting into any physical stuff. Reading writers of his calibre, I realize that I am just a mediocre hack. (But they did publish my letter the other day.)

Watched a bunch of movies featuring Julie Christie yesterday. Man, what a beauty. Remember 'Darling'? I felt I was back in the sixties (it was filmed in 1965), when everyone smoked and drank and ran around -- but didn't have such a great time. I googled her and she is still alive, 68, and presumably still gorgeous. With that bone structure, how could she not be. Al Pacino called her the "most poetic of actresses", although what Al Pacino would know about "poetic" I have no clue. Just "Al Pacino" and "poetic" in the same sentence is alarmingly jarring.

Funny thing about 'Darling' was that her main lover was played by Dirk Bogarde, who was homosexual. His rival, played by Lawrence Harvey, was bi-sexual in real life, but both men were so gorgeous and sexy. I guess it was that bit of feminine in each that did the trick.

Went swimming last night and met the Chinese woman I have been teaching. The pathetic thing is that, due to her limited English, I find myself yelling at her in "baby talk". The woman is not deaf and about 40 years old, but I nonetheless yell in baby-talk and make ridiculous hand signals! Picture it. I also articulate every word, as if that would help her understand what I am on about. "Kick harder" is still incomprehensibly "kick harder" -- whether I exaggerate my lip movements or not. When I try to demonstrate how to kick by moving my arms up and down, she swims off moving her arms wildly instead of her legs, which she drags along like logs. But we never give up and are making great progress. I think we all do this with handicapped people too -- you know, yell at someone in a wheelchair, or at someone who is blind. What is that about!?

The latest scourge to hit the country are bed bugs. I kid you not. Heard a disgusting report on CBC this morning about how they are infesting homes, hospitals, hotels, nursing homes -- you name it -- everywhere. Spent the rest of the day peeking under the bed and scratching. Yuck. Apparently the reason is we all travel so much. But I began to wonder why bed bugs freak us out so much, yet a mosquito biting us in the middle of the night is just annoying? Both are blood-suckers, but I guess the difference is that the mosquito moves on to another target and out the window, while the bed bug snuggles under the mattress permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment