Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

I smell money

As I was saying, there are now doctors who get their medical degrees and specialize in non-specific pain management. Huh!??!! Isn't pain a sympton of an ailment or injury? I smell disability leave, workman's comp and unpenalized early retirement. "I've got pains here and there, not sure where and not sure why, but I really can't work." No problem, here are a few narcotic prescriptions and you're on your way! It just seems very peculiar for a doctor to go through a hundred years of medical school only to come out with a degree in general "pain" treatment. And I bet most of the pain we experience is self-inflicted.....you know, too fat, too lethargic, too drunk. Remember my blog about the waiting room of the orthopedic clinic at the General? Filled with people whose poor knees could not possibly move the bulk stuffed on top of them.

As I was also saying, we are moving to Calgary. I have landed a new job and have to re-locate. I have been promoted to grandmother. When the idea was floated, I thought, no way, Calgary? But then I started to realize that I have no grandchildren holding me here and none from my sons in the offing, so why not?! The other bonus is that the other grandchildren in my life -- the son and daughter of my step-daughter -- live in Houston, a place you cannot get to from Ottawa. Travelling there is a nightmare of Chicago, or Detroit, or Philadelphia, or Newark......not to mention the double dose of heavenly hours wasted schlepping through airport security. And it is ridiculously expensive for B and I to get there. But there are a couple of direct flights from Calgary to Houston every day, thanks to the oil patch industry. And when the kids are a little older, their parents can put them on a plane at one end and we can pick them up at the other. It all began to sound way better for us to be in Calgary than Ottawa. We'll be able to enjoy them on our own, without the recurrent annoyance of having to accomodate another parent's expectations. I'm not going to start all that again with this new generation, just not going to happen.

So, it's all good -- except the part about getting the condo ready to sell. What a nightmare! Called in the movers and literally half our stuff is now stored in their warehouse waiting for the big day. Soon we will be going to Calgary to find our new home and start a whole new life. Can't wait! My hairdresser suggested I change the name of my blog to "Redneck in High Heels". Think I may.

1 comment:

  1. hello fellow redneck. Congratulations on your decision to live in Calgary. I like the place, and have visited there frequently. If I head to Calgary again, I will surely look you up. Where's your condo? and have you put it up with a realtor? No, I have no realtor in mind, just curious. Keep up the blog; it's inevitably as amusing as ever.

    ReplyDelete