Search This Blog

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The weirdest thing..........

Just before I flew out to Vancouver, I had to wind my cantankerous hall clock. Bought it an auction about 30 years ago and it is very tempermental. Acutally has a personality. Unless it is perfectly level, it will not tick. I had it nailed in our old house, but the (un)handyman we hired to put stuff up had not set it level on the wall -- in spite of my telling him to get his level out and make "bloody sure" the clock shelf and clock were level. "Yes, yes," he said, but it was really "no, no, can't be bothered". So, after he pocketed my money and left, the blessed clock and I frigged around with little bits of paper over an entire weekend to get the "tick tock" exactly right to my ear so I knew it would stay in continuous motion and "tick tock".

But when I wound it the morning I left, it would not "tick tock". It started, but then stopped after about 20 ticks. Wound it again, same thing. Wound it again, same thing. It would not keep ticking. I started imagining all sorts of dreadful things.......the plane was going to crash......I would never set foot in this place again.........the clock knew my number was up.......and on and on. Didn't say a word to B, who was already worried enough about what he would eat when I was away for three weeks. And I wondered if he would even notice the old, hall clock was not ticking our lives away? Walked in this evening from Vancouver and it was still not ticking. Dead silence filled the condo. Believe me, I can't abide the silence when she is not "alive". So, the first thing I did was walk over to her and give the pendulum a little push. She started ticking immediately. But would she continue? Yes, three hours later she is still "tick tocking". Does she know I am home? She must.

How weird is that?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment