Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Someone finally called it

Thirty-one years ago, when I worked there, the Public Service Commission had long since ceased to be the watchdog and guardian of the merit principle. The member of the deputy-ministers' club who headed it back then was enthusiastically disinclined to challenge or question any appointments being promoted by the fellow members of his exclusive club. Afterall, he socialized with these mandarins and toadied to many. So, challenge he did not -- much to the frustration of those of us still young and idealistic. The Chair of the PSC was an ombudsman and an Officer of Parliament and the Commission itself reported directly to Parliament. Nonetheless, he was a weak leader, in my never-to-be-humble opinion. Sadly, his successors followed suit, as far as I can tell.

So, it came as no surprise to read today that an ombudsman had to be appointed to oversee this ombudsman PSC and low and behold, they discovered the books were cooked, so to speak. What did surprise me was that it took 30 years to figure it all out. I remember in my youthful zeal writing a report to my boss, stating that the merit principle had been set aside in order to redress historical wrongdoings in the staffing of jobs in the federal public service. In other words, the merit principle was being manipulated so that women, francophones and ethnic minorities could be placed in positions which otherwise might have eluded them.

When that memo hit my boss' desk, the roof came off! Man, it was as if I'd pulled another Igor Guzenko! You'd have thought I'd uncovered a mass state secret that threatened the lives of thousands! He literally came running down the hall and burst into my office, slamming the door. He was scared silly that "The Chairman" might catch wind of this fact and be insulted. That, ladies and gentlemen, was one of my first indoctrinations into how the public service worked. No one ever told the truth to superiors. G-d forbid! No, everything was spun to show the Minister in the best possible light. That was the beginning of my settling into the culture that enveloped me my entire career. After that, whenever I spoke up -- much too often, I am sure -- my career took a bit of a beating.

The fact that I ended up where I did was a bit of a miracle. Happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment