Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tough

It's official. Waterpolo is the toughest sport in the world. Based on a number of criteria, such as endurance, speed, strength, agility, skill and physicality, waterpolo bested all other sports -- including hockey, football, boxing, ironman, hurling, basketball, soccer and rugby. Have to say I am not surprised. Apart from the basic fact that you have to try not to drown while playing it, waterpolo is a gruelling spectacle.

Not that I have ever played it, but I have watched my daughter play it over many years and was constantly amazed at how difficult it appeared to be to sprint-swim, while controlling or throwing a huge ball all the way down a pool and trying to avoid violent opponents intent on inflicting great harm. It is viscious. Lots of very dirty business going on underwater that the refs don't catch. I mean, it was not unusual for girls to emerge dripping in blood. By the way, you can't touch bottom folks; this is all done in the deep end, so to speak.

So there you have it. One of the most ignored sports in the world is officially the toughest.

2 comments:

  1. Here's the link to the article you're talking about: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/832927-what-is-the-worlds-toughest-sport

    I do admit to being biased...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't say it, but daughter was Rookie of the Year at Queen's, MVP most years and co-captain of the Queen's Women's Waterpolo Team. I guess being at the top of the toughest sport in the world says it all.

    ReplyDelete