Search This Blog

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Annoying assumptions

I swim with some amazing women.  All excellent swimmers, they also sport some pretty neat bathing suits -- mostly lap suits, but some slightly off-the-wall.  "Where did you get that suit?" I asked one fellow swimmer, who was wearing something a little different.  "Sport Check," she told me.

Sick of all my bathing suits, I went.  "Do you work here?" I asked one young woman attempting to avoid me (thought I was in Canadian Tire!)  Told her I was looking for a bathing suit, as we headed toward them.  "These are for competitive swimmers," she sneered, "for racing."  It's OK, I told her, I swim seriously. 

But here's the deal.  She was about 12 -- OK, maybe 20 -- with an ass on her the size of next week and here she was looking down her nose at me about what suit I should buy because she simply assumed I was some kind of middle-aged aquafitter!  "I used to swim competitively," she added, hoping to give herself credibility.  Didn't work. 

Obviously, she has lost the directions to the Crowfoot Y around the corner.  I mean, if her ass is that big at her age, what shape will it be in at mine?!  Hey kid, get back in the pool. 

Ultimately, she annoyed me so much I didn't buy a suit there.  But I got a new one elsewhere, plain black, which I will wear on my third Lake Windermere open-water swim in August.  Yikes!  Only a month away!! 
__________________________________________

The Calgary Stampede is in full swing!  Watching it on TV over many years from Ottawa, I never dreamt in a million years I would be living here.  But here we are and I have to confess, I have been to Stampede only once because the parking and crowds deter me.  However, I wear a cowboy hat and boots everywhere I go during Stampede, so that counts.  Lots of folks are into it, but lots aren't and that's too bad.

True to Calgary weather, we had hail this afternoon.  My poor flowers!  I rushed out with an old sheet to cover them.  Living in a mountain basin has its drawbacks.                

No comments:

Post a Comment