Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2016

Hopeless

Because he has no idea what to do or how to govern, the hapless Trudeau has hired a British guru to tell him. 

How unspeakably pathetic. 

Sir Michael Barber -- a snake-oil salesman who worked for Tony Blair -- is now BS-ing Trudeau's entire cabinet and senior bureaucrats about what they have to do.  Really!?  Back in Britain, he made up something called "The Prime Minister's Delivery Unit", which basically told the PM how to get staff to deliver on what he had promised.  Good luck with delivering on what Trudeau has recklessly and irresponsibly promised. 

Barber has five basic questions, the answers to which our PM should have had without needing to hire outside, high-priced help:
  • What are you trying to do?
  • How to do plan to do it?
  • How will you know if you are on track?
  • What will you do to adjust when things go off track? and
  • Can you set up a "Delivery Unit" to follow up?
I expect it's that last part where Barber plans to make his money here.  Sadly, having worked in the public service for many years, I can attest to the fact that most managers have no clue about answering any of the five questions?  But that's because no one tells their superiors the truth about anything.  Tell the minister the truth?  God forbid.  Lay it on the table for the DM?  Never.  Come clean with the ADM?  Are you kidding?  I used to say the only place the truth was told was in the washroom!  That's where the real beans were spilt.

We have the same problem here in Alberta, where our doomed and ill-starred premier is forging ahead with every dumb promise she made -- regardless of the fact that the province is going down the economic tubes.  Folks, without pipelines to move our main resource this country is in deep doo-doo.       

4 comments:

  1. Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach... govern??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Case in point: When I was running the PRP, we had two agents in the Minister's office who were getting complaints about the mess the 1-800 system was in. I included the issue in my report and was called on the carpet by Marj Ogden to have a strip torn off me because the ugly truth had come out. "Last time I checked, Marj, I was neither the designer nor the installer of the 1-800. You were," I told her fairly aggressively. I was close to retirement and didn't give a sh-t. But it's a perfect example of how everyone lies up the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add that at one point in Customs and Excise, Marj was junior to me because I reported directly to the DM as a DG. She finally clawed her way past me and loved to look down her nose whenever she could. Not a nice lady.

    ReplyDelete