Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

"Can't you control your wife?!"

This blog reflects my opinions -- often 'out there' -- but never libelous.  Period the end.  However, it appears some people don't like my opinions and think they have the outrageous right to attack B about them.  As I always say, if you don't like my blog don't read it.   

For the third time in our marriage, B has been "spoken to" about either my blog, or a letter to the editor.  The first was when he was on the board of our condo in Ottawa and I had written a letter to The Citizen objecting to the unnecessary cutting down of perfectly healthy Linden trees, which I loved because they were just outside our balcony and provided birds and shade.  The board was outraged because the letter was accompanied by a picture of me beside the doomed trees.  That's when the famous "Can't you control your wife," admonishment was delivered by the male-chauvinist board president.   

The second was here in Calgary, when I wrote a letter to The Herald, explaining what I thought papal infallibility meant.  Subsequently, I received a letter from some "no one" in the Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus, edifying me about what the whole thing meant.  "Hey, write your own letter to the editor and don't ever speak to me or send me a stupid, pompous, condescending letter like that, again," I said the next time I had to see the oaf. 

Never saw a letter, by the way, but thankfully he stays away from me in droves. 

The third was today, when unsuspecting B received a phone call from a flunky of a club to which he belong(ed), objecting to a blog I had written about what I had seen and heard at an event we had attended.  This sap actually demanded I remove my blog, which I only did out of respect and concern for B.  In support, B immediately resigned from this club, to which we have given thousands over four years.  In fact, we had recently given a significant cash donation for a renovation project, which we will now not enjoy.  The fact that they had a lackey call, rather than someone in management, was particularly galling and cowardly.  Do these people not realize that I contributed half the money we spent there?  Guess not because I was referred to as his "guest".  It's obviously not a case of "because it's 2016" here in Calgary. 

Yes folks, male chauvinism is alive and well in Cowtown.

So, here I sit, having tried for many years to instill in my daughter and step-daughter the values and rights that I cherish and that women have worked so hard to achieve.  I was on the vanguard of "women's lib" in the late sixties, yet am still confronted by a bunch of yahoos who think they can tell me what to write and how to think?!  Reminds me of the Middle East, where women are forbidden to get an education -- or the book burning frenzies in Nazi Germany.  Sincerely hope these complainants (all males, by the way) don't have daughters.  In fact, I also hope they don't have sons. 

What's next?  Are they going to scroll through everyone's facebook, instragram and twitter accounts to see if anyone is saying something they don't like?!

I think I know who "tattled" on me and reported the blog to club management because, frankly, only one or two take any notice of me and my letters to The Herald, let alone are aware of the fact that I have a blog.  So, as you read this, you know who you are.  Why not comment on the blog itself?  Anyone can.  Why sit in the bushes and hide, while you report and finger me?  You remind me of the NDP female MPs, who publically accused others of sexual misconduct, but hid under the couch while doing it and ruining careers.  I would think that your organization would have more to do, in the face of declining revenues in desperate Alberta, than crowd your agenda with crying, complaining and wringing your hands over what I write in my personal blog.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment