Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The pudding

That's where the proof is in the case of one James Bartleman.  He's the 'Chipewas of Mnjikaning First Nation' band member who grew up to be the 27th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.  Following on the heels of my recent blog, entitled "Doctor, lawyer, Indian chief" (March 12, 2017), it occurred to me that Bartleman would never have risen to such heights had it not been for the residential school he attended, yet damned to death, in a speech I had the misfortune to hear him give a few years ago. 

Not expecting him to go off on us, I had invited him to be the guest speaker at a gathering of the Royal Commonwealth Society a few years ago.  I mean, here was a guy who was well-educated, had been the chancellor of the Ontario College of Art and Design and had had a distinguished, 35-year career in Foreign Affairs before being named Lieutenant Governor.  I expected a civilized professional, not someone who would devote his entire talk to the evils of residential schools.

But that's exactly what he did.

I wanted to hide under the table at which I was seated.  Not daring to look at anyone, I kept my gaze averted from Bartleman and stared straight ahead for the half hour he raved on.  I mean, it wasn't just a reference or two, it was pure vitriol!  Maybe it was because we represented the Commonwealth -- the root of all evil in his mind -- that prompted him to give 'er to all of us trapped in our seats.  Did he think we personally had something to do with the running of the schools -- the same schools which afforded him every opportunity he had been given? 

I was shocked.  Obviously, it had never occurred to him that he owed everything to his education and subsequent hard work.  He was raised in Muskoka and had he not gone to residential school, would probably still be eking out a subsistence living on the reserve, or more likely dead.

As I have said many times, all boarding schools are residential schools and it's time natives  -- most of whom have never set foot in one -- to shut up and get on with it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment