Search This Blog

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Still upsets me

"There is the record of your baptism," the priest said to my late Uncle, when they met to plan his funeral.  A proud French Canadian, "R" wanted his funeral held at that same Church, Sacre Coeur in Sandy Hill, and B had gone along to help plan it at the request of my cousin.  They were reading the handwritten notice of his baptism, inscribed more than 90 years earlier.

So, when he died in 2014 and I went to Ottawa for the funeral, I was dismayed to see it was not being held at Sacre Coeur, but rather at an English parish a couple of blocks away -- one in which Uncle R had not set foot.  I suspect it was my cousin's wife who orchestrated this manoeuver, because that's the sort of thing she does, but I didn't say anything at the time -- very uncharacteristic indeed.  Why she could not have honoured her father-in-law's final wishes and had him buried out of his childhood parish I do not understand?

(Since she has basically turned my cousin against me, I have no problem finally saying what I have been thinking about this bait-and-switch operation for a number of years.  It was mean-spirited and selfish.) 

Here is the last picture of us.  He was the last of my parent's generation and I still miss him terribly. 
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment