Search This Blog

Saturday, September 22, 2018

I told you so

The media is full of what a disaster our current GG, Julie Payette, is.  Installed a year ago, she remains seemingly unaware of what a governor general in a parliamentary democracy is supposed to do.  I wrote "Give her a copy of the constitution" on 07/11/17, pointing out that she thinks she has opinions to impart on government bills and won't sign them.   

No, she doesn't have opinions, but apparently she refuses to give Royal Assent to things with which she doesn't agree.  Really!?  Seasoned Rideau Hall officials and constitutional staff have tried and tried and tried to educate her, but have failed.  She actually has the gall to complain that her duties are interfering with her personal time!  OMG!  Guess that means she doesn't work nights or weekends, when most official stuff is carried out.  And by the way, she gets paid $300 K to do what she's told.  And as to being a "single mother", you can bet that kid's father is paying lots of child support.    

I also wrote "Is it just me?" on 02/10/2017 about her ignorance of her role and the inappropriateness of her dress and ridiculous hair.  When you're the governor general, this stuff is all very important.  People are counting on you to show up and look like "the governor general" -- not some ex-astronaut.  Years ago, when I was with Customs and Excise and Elmer MacKay was the minister, I went to a briefing to make a presentation on something or other (see how unimportant it all is in the end, can't even remember what it was about?) and Elmer said, "Nancy, as Woody Allen said, ninety percent of life is showing up and here I am, so what do you have for me?" 

He was right.  The fault, of course, lies with Trudeau and the PMO, who obviously failed to vet her sufficiently to have seen her personality just didn't fit the role.  She reminds me of Freeland, who thinks everything she says and does is perfect because it's she.  I'll bet Payette was chosen as the token female astronaut, but hasn't figured that out yet and thinks it was because of her brilliance.

Wrong.  Afterall, they train monkeys and dogs to go up in space, so how hard can it be?!

Trudeau needs to call her into the office and give her a spanking, but oh yeah, I forgot, he doesn't have a clue about the constitution either!  Someone should give me a call because I am married to one of the guys who wrote it.        

No comments:

Post a Comment