Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2021

Ghoulish

 "The following may be disturbing to some readers.  Reader discretion is advised."

That's what I need to say before I get into the mess on my forehead.  

About 15 years ago, I had Mohs Surgery on a basal cell in my forehead.  (If you don't know what Mohs is, google it.)  Apparently, it is always 99% effective.  Naturally, I had to be the pesky one percent.  So, it came back and off I went for another Mohs adventure last Wednesday to the Calgary Skin Cancer Clinic.  The surgeon had to go in three times before the slide came back clean, i.e., no cancerous cells.  Isn't that what happened the last time?  Oh, and at one point during the ordeal, "Yes," was the surgeon's reply, when I asked her if that scraping sound was her banging on my skull.  

Anyway, it was seven hours of surgery, followed by two hours of sewing up and attaching a skin graft when the skin would no longer stretch over the gaping wound.  And they had to stretch some skin to get enough for the graft.  Gawd! 

Following a ton of freezing, I promptly came home and vomited all evening, during which I think I burst a suture or two because it's a big mess at the moment.  So, face-time calls with the grands are out for a while -- although granddaughter would probably love to ogle the ugly incision from my hairline to my eyebrow.  You know kids, some just love gore!

But I am grateful that a recent mammogram came back clean and thankful I do not have melanoma -- the worst kind of skin cancer.  So, I should really quit complaining and bitching about something that is fixable.  

Shut up, Nancy

  

1 comment:

  1. wow you and I are so much alike in that way Nancy. I too am usually in the 1% group where what should work easily , does not . I hope you are not in too much pain at least and heal quickly.. Do you have a follow up appointment or is it not needed?

    ReplyDelete