Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Words that need to be banished

 Hilariously -- but not really -- every year the Lake Superior State University compiles an annual list of words and phrases that should be banished.  The university's aim is to, "uphold, protect and support excellence in language by encouraging avoidance of words and terms that are overworked, redundant, oxymoronic, cliched, illogical, nonsensical and otherwise ineffective, baffling or irritating.  

This year's list includes some beauts!  

  • COVID 19
  • Social distancing
  • We're all in this together
  • An abundance of caution
  • In these uncertain times
  • Unprecedented
  • BFF
  • Lol
  • Yuh know
  • Pivot (reserved for basketball players only)
  • Karen
  • I know, right?
  • Right?
  • Flatten the curve
My own favourite is, "It is what it is."  Gawd I hate that one!  I have also written about the misuse of "So....", which annoyingly so many people put at the beginning of an answer to a question.  I also object to, "I mean, I wanna say......"

But I think we hit new heights with, "Going forward."  What the F does that mean?!  Of course we're "going forward" because this phrase is always used when talking about the future.  Duh!!!  A reader just suggested "icon" -- absolutely!

People's inarticulateness is breathtaking.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment