Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Who picked the art?

Last time I checked, the governor general was the representative of the Crown in this country.  Last time I was in that hall, a magnificent painting of Her Majesty graced the main wall.  Not now.  Now it has been replaced by a huge, hideous painting that could have been done my one of my grands.

I know, I know, it's modern art, but from my perspective, modern art is really a business, with what is considered "good" or "great" being decided by gallery owners who will profit from the prices pieces fetch.  I've been in that beautiful room many times, most memorably when I ran the 'Vincent Massey Awards for Excellence in the Urban Environment' in 1976.  We had our awards' ceremony there and Elizabeth II presided from her perch on the wall in all Her magnificent glory.

Anyway, as usual, I digress.  One would think that as the Queen is Head of State of this country and that Rideau Hall is Her Majesty's home when she is here, her likeness would -- and must -- be front-and-centre in the main ballroom of the place.

But, not now.  Very wrong, in my view.  The other thing I'm noticing is that the entire swearing-in ceremony is being led by Indigenous people, who are welcoming folks to "unceded" Algonquin territory.  Wonder how Caroline Bennett feels, after having been kicked out of that portfolio for basically doing nothing on the file for a number of years except wear beaded outfits?

This is all in keeping after the feds announced another $308 million for the unearthing of graves at former residential schools to find....uh....the remains of children and others who died of widespread, prevalent pre-vaccine diseases -- not intentionally murdered by those who ran the schools.  

I had to chuckle watching the interview with former PM Jean Chretien on Sunday, when he talked about residential schools and mentioned that he himself had attended a boarding school from age six to 21.  As you know, that's what I have said many times, that these were boarding schools -- harsh, yes, but you got a good education while you were there.  Naturally, he was pummeled in the public thoroughfare for daring to even compare residential schools to boarding schools.  Cindy Blackstock went insane because she gets her money perpetuating the plight of native children in care.  (Why they are in care is another matter, always glossed over.)

So, there you have it, the new 39-member cabinet.  Meet the new boss, same as the old boss -- especially the odious Chrystia Freeland whose smugness shone brightly all over the room.  

Oh dear, oh dear..............


2 comments: