Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2021

Another. Sad.

 I knew Barry was ill, but I was still not prepared for his death.  I always read the Ottawa obits and today, an old flame Barry Turner, was in them.  Barry and I were boyfriend-and-girlfriend in the summer of '68, when I was at Carleton and he at Ottawa U.  

Barry and I met at a cottage party in Kingsmere, where his family had a cottage.  Back then, there was a bunch of us who went regularly that summer to parties there and at Meech Lake.  For some reason, Barry and I hit it off.  Actually, however, I was surprised when he called and asked me out because I was not your typical dyed-blonde.  Our first date was to the Ottawa Ex and we had a blast, going on all the stupid rides, eating candy floss and laughing our heads off.

After that summer, he and I drifted -- he with CUSO to Africa, I to Toronto.  But we had never really officially broken up, so we continued to stay in touch over the years through his marriage, kids, divorce and grands and mine.  Every trip back to Ottawa, we would get together and remember the Glory Days, so to speak.  He had been an MP for a few years and had then held a number of interesting jobs.  One I remember was when he was a federal arbitrator for grievances and I was called as a witness because one of my employees objected to an evaluation I had given her.  When my name was called, Barry looked up and interrupted, saying there might be a conflict of interest because he and I had long been friends.  The defence did not object and I testified.  It was weird because we could not look at each other without stifling a laugh and as I left the witness box, I could feel him staring as I exited the room.  

I learned he had cancer a few years ago and battled hard, but mutual friends told me he was in hospice, so the end was expected.  Still, as I say, it was a shock because we had known each other for 53 years.  A few months ago, he emailed me to tell me he had fallen in love and I was so happy for him.  I have written eulogies for my old flame, Barry, and I know he is now making the angels laugh in heaven.  Rest in peace, my old friend.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment