Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Maybe I'll get a column?

 Do you think, now that Margaret Wente has retired and the great Christie Blatchford has died, 'The Globe and Mail' will offer me a column?  It would be nice because there are no sensible, no bullsh-t female columnists in it these days.  Here's a letter I had in yesterday:

As I have said many times, my cohort invented "feminism" in the late sixties; too bad it hasn't taken.  Women are still being penalized in the workplace for having the biological function of bearing children.  

An acquaintance of mine, the widow of an old friend of B's, was head of the Commission on the Status of Women for quite a few years.  Not long ago, she told me how much she enjoyed my letters to 'The Globe and Mail' and what a good writer I was.  So I sent her the link to my blog.  Haven't heard from her since, hahahaha!  And boy, she sure won't like this letter because it basically trashes her entire career and life's work.  She never had children, which makes her incapable of understanding the dilemma of those of us who did and who had to navigate a hostile workplace to get back into it after going on leave.  

When I had my kids, you didn't get maternity leave, you got unemployment leave.  And you didn't get your job back when you returned after your measly six months.  You got a job back and had to endure the sight of someone else sitting in your office, doing your job.  It was demoralizing and insulting, but "We've come a long way, baby" -- or have we?


No comments:

Post a Comment