Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2021

That would be $2,842

 If you bought everything advertised by 'Golf World' in 'The Herald' today.  That would get you a wedge, a driver, a putter, shoes, a couple of half sweaters and a push cart.  Wow, that's expensive -- one reason I don't play, the other being I can't hit the ball because the club shaft is too long and the ball too small.  The physics don't work for me.

But, oh how I loved being a social member of the Royal Ottawa Golf Club for so many years.  Frankly, it was the best deal around because if you were a golfer, you could play the back nine twice a week.  For me the attraction was that gorgeous verandah and the swanky parties held every year at Christmas and New Year's.  

Here in "Cowtown" there's nothing like that lovely place.  One reason we social members were (barely) tolerated at the Royal was because our fees kept the "real" members' fees down.  One club we were invited to join here was 'The Ranchmen's Club', to which I loved going.  Until we quit a few years ago.  Why?  Because at one dinner, Nenshi was the speaker (ugh!) and I asked in a stage whisper whether he would be passing the hat to cover his legal fees?  He was in a fight at the time with a local developer he had slandered in the media.

The next day, B was called by a club "official" who asked that he speak to his "guest", me, about my remarks.  I was flabbergasted!  Reminded me of when B was on the board of our condo and was asked by the president, "Can't you control your wife?"  This was because I had written a letter to 'The Citizen' about all the trees they kept cutting down instead of simply spraying them for insects.  "No, can you," replied B.  He quit the board.  

We also quit the Ranchmen's after that phone call.  Just to wrap it up nicely, I wrote the board members one of my scathing letters about how they treated women.  Hard to believe, but male chauvinism remains alive and well in some prehistoric quarters.           


2 comments:

  1. Just the name of the club irks me. How pretentious! We have such a double standard on voicing opinions as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like the Royal Ottawa, no women allowed for many years. That's why it was called that, but it was a beautiful club, with fabulous mounted trophies, like buffalo, etc. Still, I enjoyed it until.....The double standard thrives out here in Cowtown!

      Delete