Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

De-caff only for the middle east

I was watching with growing depression yet another US president launch yet another round of peace talks between Israel and Palestine. Loved the new buzz words -- partnership quartet was one phrase that jumped out. What does that mean? The station played old clips of presidents-past launching "peace initiatives", "roadmaps" and other no-go's. It felt like another version of 'A Christmas Carol', only not as interesting or well-acted as the old Allistair Sim version. Switched to a show talking about the evils of caffeine and suddenly it hit me! Caffeine is the problem over there. Seriously! The arabs and israelis drink mud-consistency caffeine all day and night. No wonder they are so hepped up all the time. I am not kidding here people. Think about it. We all know that more than two cups at a time is murder on the nervous system. Think about that film footage of raving palestinians, rioting in the streets. Caffeine-induced.

The good news is that the pain in my hips is neither arthritris nor osteoporosis. The bad news is I have to live with it until someone can figure out what the problem is. Maybe bursitis. Now I won't get a hip replacement, which is a pity because I was going to ask for smaller ones.

My darling son has moved to Toronto. A couple of weeks ago he got a call from Shopper's Drug Mart, went for the interview, got the call and moved -- all within two weeks. I am still in shock, but so happy for him. God is driving the bus on that file.

'Picnic' is on right now. What a great movie. Have you ever seen anyone as gorgeous as William Holden? Well, maybe Cary Grant, but that's about it. Bite me Brad Pitt. And Kim Novak is breathtaking. I googled the movie and read that Holden demanded an extra $10,000 to do that dance on the dock under the picnic lanterns. Apparently he hated dancing and thought the producers wouldn't pay up. But they did and the results are about as sexy as it gets. And everyone fully-clothed with space between them. Ya gotta admit that Rosilind Russell steals the picture. She is fabulous.

Well, off to get lasered tomorrow. It seems my reading lens has developed membranes on it (thank G-d the word "mucous" is not in front of the diagnosis!). So, they zap them and that's it.

First episode of 'Rescue Me' is on at 10, Showcase. Do yourself a favour and watch it. I love that show. Denis Leary plays Tommy Gavin, a completely screwed up New York fire-fighter. The supporting characters are first-class, the writing superb. Now that I have a fire fighter son-in-law, I asked him if that show was true to life. Pretty much, he answered. Whoa! Not that wild, I hope.

1 comment:

  1. It's so funny, how you write exactly how you speak, I can totally hear your voice as I read this in my living room!

    ReplyDelete