Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lunch minus 40 years

Was invited to lunch by my niece and her cousin on her mother's side. This was a shock to me because I have only spent time with my niece at family gatherings since she was born and now that she is in her mid-twenties, I was surprised she wanted to actually have a private visit with me. So, there I was, 40 years behind (ahead, but you know what I mean) these two gorgeous young women, sitting in a pub in Little Italy for the afternoon. I learned a lot, man. For the first time I found out what they really thought about this and that. Their parents weren't there to filter the truth. Took be back to my own twenties and all the things I thought I knew, knew I knew and didn't know I knew. These young women are certainly in control of their lives and their relationships and that is the one big change I noted. When I was in my mid twenties, I was worried about getting married (got that wrong the first time) and making sure my "career" was on the right track.

They were decked out in their casual finery and I was proud to have been sitting with them. I was also glad I could tell them what we had to deal with at their age -- you know, date rape and other quaint, old-fashioned leisure activities in the era of "no-means-yes" -- horrors they would never put up with. We are only as sick as our secrets and the older I get the fewer I have. In fact, I have none that I can think of. So, thank you darling girls. You opened my eyes and gave me a glimpse into a world of young women I don't get from my own daughters. I am not their mother and that affords me the leeway I enjoy immensely!

No comments:

Post a Comment