Search This Blog

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Not Canadian

"If I lived here I would have to pay 40% in income tax," said the visiting father of our neighbours.  That means the guy makes $450,000 a year because that's the tax bracket he'd have to be in to pay 40%.  A Nigerian, he is also a Canadian, but lives and works in Dubai, where there is no income tax.  I have a big problem with Canadians who don't want to pay tax to live in the best country in the world.

"It's a privilege to pay tax in Canada," I advised him this morning as we chatted on the front lawn when I returned from the pool.  "Taxes pay for health care, roads, sewers, the army, navy and air force and everything in between," I added.  "It's an honour to pay taxes in Canada," I said.  He suddenly had to go.  No kidding.  "But I am Canadian," he said.  No you're not.  If you won't live in Canada, where all your kids live, and you don't want to pay tax, you are definitely not a "Canadian".  And please, don't come back here when you need health care.  Pisses me off. 

Has anyone noticed what a f-up Nigeria is? 

   

1 comment: