Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Not our cup of tea

Yesterday, we headed off on a planned four-day vacation to Emerald Lake Lodge in Field, B.C.  We drove back today, three days ahead of schedule.  Just not for us.  Why?  Because if you don't ski, hike or snowshoe, forget about Emerald Lake. 

As you can imagine, we do none of the above.  There is no WiFi (not that I really care), no TV, no radio and absolutely nothing electronic.  I felt a bit adrift.  And what else upset me were the other guests.  My standards were constantly assaulted by the appearance of those around me.  It was jeans, sweat pants and baggy shirts as I sat there "dressed" for the occasion.  And what did I hear from the diners ordering at the table behind us?  "Can I have the gluten-free, lactose-free, vegetarian menu please."  "I am sorry, we don't have a specific menu like that," the server said to the female slob ordering.  And I mean SLOB!  "But we can accommodate all that," she helpfully added.  Please.   

B and I adventurously ordered the multi-fare, wild-game platter just to experience the elk, caribou, deer and duck on it.  It was definitely "gamey", but hey, I don't normally cook that at home, so I wanted to taste it.  Not bad. 

On line, Emerald Lake looked gorgeous and it was.  Spectacular, serene and silent.  But there was nothing for people like us to do.  Sitting silently in our cabin after dinner last evening, I said to B, "What will we do tomorrow?"  He had no clue.  "Let's go home," I said.  We did. 

We drove home and stopped in Lake Louise for lunch.  Now, that's more my style.  Dear readers, if you don't live on the doorstep of the Rockies, this is what you are missing:

Emerald Lake at dusk

In the daytime


The view from the Chateau Lake Louise.  People skating and skiing on the frozen lake.  Spectacular!



No comments:

Post a Comment