Search This Blog

Thursday, September 28, 2017

I thought he was a feminist

So, Hugh Hefner has died.  The media is all over it, with many people saying he exploited women.  I don't agree.  Here was a guy who paid women well to pose naked for his magazine.  They didn't have to do it, but when I was young and thought I was a liberated feminist, I too thought it degraded women.

Until I grew up and realized we all do sexual things for remuneration of some kind -- be it financial or otherwise.  At least the women in his centrefolds took off their clothes, posed, put them back on and collected a handsome cheque.  How is that not liberated?  Hefner was a feminist, as opposed to our current prime minister who purports to be, but is actually a male chauvinist pig in the same vein as his father.  Now there was a guy who put women down! Just ask the befuddled Margaret.   

He took the girlie-picture trade out of back alleys and smutty corner stores and celebrated beautiful women.  And those who worked in his clubs made good money to put themselves through college or do whatever they liked.  In fact one ex-bunny said she felt safe, was very well-paid and if anything thought she was exploiting Playboy, not the other was 'round.  Hefner was a liberal feminist, not a radical feminist.  Unlike the radical feminist, who thinks women should not show off their bodies and be sexy, Hefner loved and celebrated women. 

Never having ascribed to radical feminism, I nevertheless did very well as a working mother and wife and didn't once think I had to kowtow to a man to get ahead.  I thought a woman could look good, wear high heels and do a professional job at the same time.  No bra-burning for me.  I consider myself a feminist because I have never relied on a man to support myself or my kids.  I did it on my own -- no child or spousal support of any kind because I never wanted to have to ask a man for money. 

But trading sex for money and support is what stay-at-home women do every day.  That's what many marriages today -- and all in my mother's time -- are all about:  the husband supports the wife and in return she provided services, including sex.  While the playboy bunnies could collect a cheque and go home, women who are supported by their husbands are stuck.  Them's just the facts. 

I have a very attractive male friend who is 69 years old with a body that would rival most 20-year-olds.  Women are crazy about him, but married and divorced three times with children and grandchildren, he no longer wants a wife or girlfriend so he pays for sex.  "The last thing I want is to lead any woman on into thinking we have a future," he maintains.  "So I am very upfront and tell them they are lovely and attractive, but I am not interested in a relationship," he says.  "It's a lot easier for me to pay for it without any strings."

That is one of the most honest approaches I have ever encountered and I admire him for it.  Instead of being dishonest and pretending he is interested in a woman, he just pays one of his high-class regulars and gets on with his life.  With a huge annual income, he is also one of the most generous people I know with his family, friends and the ladies he dates.  I admire the guy immensely. 

As for Hefner, I wonder what Camille Paglia thinks?  I bet she agrees with me.  (Just googled her, she does.)

No comments:

Post a Comment