Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Copycat

That's what I was when I first read Tom Wolfe, the incomparable American journalist/chronicler who has died.  In the late sixties, I subscribed to 'Esquire' and Wolfe was in it regularly.  He was brilliant.  A journeyman writer and editor with Maclean Hunter at the time, I wrote articles like, well....a journalist.  But when I came across Wolfe, I said, "Whoa, this is how I want to write!" 

Easier said than done.  But from then on, in every piece I wrote I tried to copy Wolfe's personal approach to his subjects.  Instead of just writing about what businessmen I interviewed were doing at the time, I actually sought out their childhood friends and included anecdotes that helped explain their approach and success.  Sometimes my subjects were offended when I wrote about a childhood escapade, but my columns and articles impressed my editor and put me on the front page of the business publications for which I toiled -- with a byline!

Very big deal.

He was unique.  He did what I tried to do:  Wrote about facts, but with a personal perspective on my subjects.  My editor, Jean Portugal, then red-pencilled the sh-t out of what I wrote, which was so helpful because, although what I wrote was correct, I used waaaaay too many words to get there.  She made me a decent writer.  RIP dear Mrs. Portugal.   
_______________________________

On another note, Harper is now going public with his positions and opinions.  He even went so far as to say he could be leader of the Conservatives anytime he wanted.  I agree.  I think he has laid low to see what Scheer would accomplish. 

How about nothing.

Harper may be positioning himself to come back as leader.  Yay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment