Search This Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Aghast

That's what I was when I watched the re-run of the wedding of Meghan and Harry.  Did anyone know what that preacher was going to say??!!  Obviously not.  Apparently he "deviated" from his text and was ridiculous.  Right on queue, Martin Luther King was mentioned in the first sentence!  And why did he go on about "love being redemption"?  Redemption for what?  Who needed redeeming?  He actually claimed love could eradicate poverty.  Really?!  What he ignored completely was where he was.  This was Windsor Castle, for Gawd's sake, and he raved on as if he had been at a Baptist revival meeting in a tent!  But hey, this guy was never going to have a moment and audience like this.  Ever again.  So he went for it.  I found it appallingly embarrassing. 

No one knew where to look.  People looked down and sniggered.  Did you see the expression on Elton John's face?!  Dumbfounded.  I think his mouth was actually open in bewilderment.  Looking at Harry, I wondered if he were having second thoughts about the culture into which he was marrying because it was not the other way 'round; her culture dominated.  What was the poor Queen thinking??!!  Gawd. 

But her dress, although not one I thought appropriate, was magnificent -- especially with flowers representing the 53 countries of The Commonwealth -- sewn into the train.  That was very smart because The Queen is its devoted head.  To me it was an odd choice because she has been married before and divorced, so in my ancient mind, she should not have been in a traditional, white-virgin wedding gown.  I think something off-white or pastel and short would have been a better choice.  Frankly, Wallis Simpson got it right when she married her David.  She was clad in a lovely day dress looking smashing, as she always did for the rest of her life.   

All I can say to those who think the Monarchy useless, all I can say after this majestic display is "pshaw".  However, Harry and Meghan looked very happy and in love and for that I cheer.  Harry has been a stalwart and deserves happiness.  Now, if you want kids, get going!  She's 36!    

No comments:

Post a Comment