Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2018

"He was always a prude"

That's what someone said about my grade 13 boyfriend at the Lisgar Collegiate Institute's 175th reunion, when I mentioned the guy in question had morphed into a prude.  I laughed because I realized it was true and also the reason my mother and grandmother were so keen on him.

Go figure.  Why I dated him for a year waaaaaaay back then is beyond me! 

I was -- and am -- not a prude, as you can well imagine.

The reunion was so fabulous!  Wouldn't have missed it for anything.  "You're married to Nancy Griffith?!" said many to my husband.  "Wow."  (Don't know if that "wow" was in a good or bad way; I hope the former.)  The variety show was hosted by alumnus Rich Little, who was top drawer and very funny.  The dinner on Saturday was amazing and we were seated more or less by year.  There I was, next to Joan Fisher, who had been a year behind me.  "Nancy Griffith!" she exclaimed.  "You were head cheerleader!"  Joan was a year behind me, but went on to represent Canada in the Mexican Olympics.  And she was in awe of me!?!?  Seriously.

Saw lots of old boyfriends and realized our high school years are the best we will ever know.  "Remember when we couldn't wait to finish grade 13 and move on?! said an old friend.  "How great it was," I replied.  'Glory Days', as The Boss sings. 

Here are a few snaps of the event:
 
Bob Green, football hero, head boy and eventually a high school principal at Glebe -- Lisgar's arch-rival.

An ancient beau and a fabulous dancer.

Here's a Canadian Olympian, Joan Fisher.  An honour to have been seated with her.

Classmates.  Note, I am the one blabbing!

Football hero on the right, old pal on the left.
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment