Search This Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Thank you Joe Davidson

I remember when Joe Davidson was head of the postal union and you couldn't even understand him because of his severe Scottish accent.  He -- along with the naïve Lester Pearson -- gave postal workers the right to strike.  The disgruntled Davidson brought his British-labour-bad-attitude to Canada and the post office has never been the same. 

What a dumb move. 

After collecting a big salary and pension, Davidson promptly moved back to Scotland and died, leaving the rest of Canada with a whopping mess.  Even turning it into a crown corporation hasn't helped the disaster that is the post office.  Remember his successor Jean-Claude Parrot?  What a sullen soul he was.  Pissed off at everything all the time.  I see now the union has rejected the latest offer, so everything will be effed up for Christmas.

But, in my feeble mind, all labour grievances are the fault of management.  How long has this been going on?  For more than a year.  What have the people who run Canada Post been doing?  I remember when B became DG of training and development at Correctional Services.  The first thing he did was meet with the union and set down some basic ground rules, respect and understanding.  I have to tell you that I know three former vice-presidents of Canada Post and they were all women.  What does that tell you?  And the president now?  Another woman.  Sorry, but there we are.  (But I also know one former MP, who failed to get re-elected and was handed a cushy job high in the ranks there and he was a man; must be a place to dump incompetents because this guy -- we'll call him "DR" -- certainly was.)

There was not one iota of a problem in CSC the whole five years B was there.  If you have a union problem, you have a management problem.  So now I will get neither my Amazon-ordered fireplace garland, nor my bangle for Christmas. 

Oh well, it's not cancer.   

No comments:

Post a Comment