Search This Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Another botch-up

The arrogance of the governor general seems to know no bounds.  Apparently, she is refusing to move into Rideau Hall.  Really?!  Wow!  She has been living at Rideau Gate while renovations and repairs were made to her official residence, but now has decided not to move into where she belongs. 

I have been to, and worked in, Rideau Hall when I ran the Vincent Massey Awards for Excellence in the Urban Environment back in 1975-76.  I had many meetings there and enjoyed coffee in the kitchen and trust me, it was a very comfortable place.  Apparently, she thinks it's too big.  Well, most of it is not used except for formal occasions; the private living quarters are lovely and cozy.  So, she is hindering the NCC which needs to house foreign dignitaries in Rideau Gate by staying there as a contrarian.  Were I in charge of the NCC, I'd house foreign visitors in Rideau Hall and she could stay outside the gates.  And when she deigns to move in, I'd tell her that she had to wait because the Prime Minister of Japan, or the president of Lower Slobovia was in residence at Rideau Hall.  Time to play a little chess with the imperious Ms. Payette.  p.s.  How can you be "imperious" and a "separatist" at the same time?   

A good friend from Montreal told me a while ago that scratch every French Canadian and you will find a separatist.  "Oh Oui, oui, oui," he said.  "Trust me, we are all separatists."  Frankly, that's what I think Payette's problem is.  She thinks she is making a statement for Quebec and is actually superior to Her Majesty herself!  So, that's why she doesn't want to move into a Vice-Regal residence.  It's not "French" enough -- or at all. 

A very bad choice by "Mr. Feminist".

No comments:

Post a Comment