Search This Blog

Monday, December 10, 2018

It can be done

Apparently, "having" all is impossible.  I beg to differ.  Some of us actually "did" it all.  Because we had to.  Margaret Wente wrote a column about it in 'The Globe and Mail' the other day.  She was talking about Michelle Obama, who said it couldn't be done.  And this from a woman who had hot-and-cold running staff while she lived in the White House!  If she couldn't manage "it", she failed.

The column referred to Cheryl Sandberg's book about "Leaning In".  She advocated women's doing it all, which I actually did.  Some of us actually did it "all".  I was determined not to be penalized for the biological function of reproducing -- which women were.  When I had a baby, I was in the office during labour and only left when the pains got a tad unbearable.  Back then (1976), one got a job back, but not one's own job.  We also did not get our pay; we got unemployment insurance and returned to work six months later to find someone else in our offices, doing our jobs. 

We had to start all over.

To add more to my burden, I married a man with a complete b-tch for an ex-wife.  Money hungry, she never let up being uncooperative and unfair -- even though the courts ordered her to share.  A concept with which she was unfamiliar, unless it was with our money, which she could not get enough of.  I found it wrong that my salary was factored into her spousal and child support, given the fact that I earned it and had to support my own two children with no contribution from their father.  You'd think she'd have been ashamed to take money from another woman, but not on your life.  The more she could grab, the better. 

So, "lean in" is nothing new to me and my cohort.  We invented the concept and are still leaning.  I am grateful women now get a year off with pay.  We did that for them, so when well-educated women elect to sit home with kids and meet for coffee, it pisses me off.  They will regret it when they try to re-enter the workplace and find it has moved on without them, thank you very much.
_______________________________________
Switching gears, the latest lamentation is from the human rights gang who are up in arms because more blacks than Caucasians are being arrested.  My question is, what are the crime rates for these groups?  Of course, no journalist asks this obvious question.  I mean, if more blacks are being arrested, they must be committing more crimes.  No?  It has to do with crime, not race, but G-d forbid anyone asks.   

No comments:

Post a Comment