Search This Blog

Monday, December 24, 2018

Only I....

....would venture into Walmart on Christmas Eve.  What a "duh" thing to do!  Yes, it was insane because December 24th is the day all men decide to do their Christmas shopping.  That, my friends, is a fact.  Men do not shop until they absolutely have to. 

Just to double down on that dumb idea, I then decided it was a great day to go to the liquor store!  Again, a hoarde of last-minute-ers was wandering or dashing around.  Those of us who know what we need and where it is dash; the rest wander, trying to find something unique to bring for Christmas dinner.  Dashing or not, it was still a wait-in-line event. 

But, it got done.

I was in Walmart because I had second thoughts about the gift I had bought my granddaughter -- she of the dress-herself variety.  And you never know what that means.  She will absolutely not wear anything her mother or I suggest, so the adorable moose hat I had bought her in Banff a while ago seemed a long shot.  It's so cute, but the "cute" type she is not.  Although adorable, this one is not inclined to dress the part -- a trait I support because I am like that myself.  And so was her mother.  I could not dress her mother either and the apple has not fallen far from that tree.  So I opted for a "Peppa Pig" top and leggings.  Those she will wear.

If you know me, you know my style is my own.  I do not -- and never have -- followed fashion.  I wear what suits me and colour outside the lines now and then.  I remember years ago, when we went to my late mother's for Sunday dinner, she remarked, "G-d, I certainly hope you don't go to the office dressed in some of the outfits you wear here."

I was shocked because I thought I always looked fabulous.  And yes, I did go to the office in "those" outfits.  But she was a very conventional and conservative dresser and I was/am not.  I am a high-heel gal and always will be.  Give me pink heels, or give me death.

On the food front, we were at a gathering the other evening and the hostess served Tortière.  Being Westerners, no one knew why it was called what it was?  I explained that it had originally been made with torte meat, a bird long extinct, but that now it had to be made with ground pork and beef.  So, a few Westerners have been educated on the famous meat pie.  Mission accomplished. 

Merry Merry.    

No comments:

Post a Comment