Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2022

An inspiration

That's how my 30-years-younger doctor described me the other day when I went to see her.  "I have one other patient your age who inspires me," she said to a shocked moi.  "I hope I will be in your shape when I am your age."

Wow!  I was kind'a speechless.  Doctors don't usually look up to, or compliment, patients, so my chest swelled!  "I have patients much younger than you who are suffering with muscle wasting because they don't do exercise of any kind.  Your swimming is what's keeping you so fit.  Don't stop!" she added.

Heck, and just when I was thinking of cutting back.  No chance of that now.  I used to be a daily aerobic walker and covered four km's every weekday morning before work and seven on the weekends.  Thinking I was improving myself in every way, I was actually developing bursitis in my hips from all the pounding.  So, about 20 years ago, I switched to swimming.  Thank God for that!  My crepe skin is in full view on the pool deck, but apparently it hides the power beneath it!  

______________________________

Yesterday, we had lunch with B's first cousin, her husband and one of their sons.  Only the second time we had met this cousin -- the family is scattered all over England and Australia -- we thoroughly enjoyed meeting A, B's second cousin, who works in Fort McMurray.  I was fascinated, as he told me about the vehicles he drives -- like house-sized Caterpillar 797B scoops, which load 100 tons of sand in one load, have 3,400 horsepower engines and 12-foot tires.  Whoa!  Apparently, you have to climb three ladders to get to the cab.  This prompted my first middle-aged question, "What do you do if you have to pee?"  He told me, which made me wonder how the women, who have to pull down pants and squat, manage it?  "Yeah, they have it worse because they have to scramble down to a port-a-potty," -- which seems highly unfair.  He agreed.

All in all, it was a lovely visit!      

  

   


No comments:

Post a Comment