Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2022

Almost outrageous

 We are visiting Toronto for Christmas and have booked in at the Park Hyatt Hotel (previously the venerable Park Plaza).  Full disclosure, in my wild Maclean-Hunter days in the early seventies, I spent a lot of time in the back bar on the ground level, where the late John Robarts, held court in a special corner.  It was a great place, but something has happened to that hotel -- along with many other previously-reasonable establishments.  

Initially, they said they were not offering turkey for Christmas Dinner!!$%^#$@!!  That's right, no turkey was on the draft menu!

I am so sick of Christmas being cancelled because, "not everyone celebrates it".  So what??!!!  Here's the email I just sent to the guest services manager when she dropped the almost-bombshell.  

________________________________________

Email:

Good morning, Michelle.  Brian forwarded this to me.  I would like to formally protest to the GM about this appalling decision. 

December 25th is Christmas Day and Christmas in this country means turkey.  How can a hotel like the Park Hyatt not offer turkey on Christmas day??!!  It’s unconscionable, inexcusable and an insult to the day and its traditions.  I sincerely regret booking at your hotel, in view of this.  Please don’t tell me that not everyone celebrates Christmas, I know that, but you can’t change the fact that Dec. 25th is Christmas Day and any self-respecting establishment must offer turkey for this feast.

Things have become totally upside-down in this country.  How would it work if I insisted on pork for a Ramadan meal?  People would be as outraged as I am that no turkey will be on the menu on December 25th. 

A word of advice:  Don’t dare call it a “Christmas Day menu”.  It’s not!

Chefs today have become entirely too high-handed, in my opinion.  Since when do they override guests’ wishes and an age-old feast like Christmas.  I’m tired of everyone highjacking and denying Christmas in favour of “Holiday” and “Season” Days.  Last time I checked, December 25th was Christmas Day; the holidays and seasons only surround it.  Please, let those of us who celebrate it have one day out of respect for our culture too.

I would appreciate your forwarding this to the chef and the GM.  By the way, please send me the GM’s name and email address.

 I am sorry you are in the middle of this mess, but if the Park Hyatt stepped up, none of this would be necessary.  I look forward to hearing back.  Thank you, Michelle.

 Yours sincerely,

Nancy Marley-Clarke

403-710-9122 

____________________________________ 

Just got a call from a charming manager and Kevin informed me that yes, he had read my email and yes, turkey would be on the menu for sure.  "You can go ahead and cancel your Royal York reservations because turkey and all the trimmings will definitely be on our Christmas Day menu.  In fact, I have already made a reservation for three at 5 p.m."

p.s.  Disaster averted.  We have cancelled our booking with the Royal York.  Sometimes, you just have to put it out there.  Happy Turkey!



3 comments:

  1. How disgraceful. Why, even Chances 'R in Ottawa served turkey on Thanksgiving Monday. I hope you get an apologetic reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to send the GM this blog -- if she ever calls me. When we stayed at the Banff Springs a while ago and I found the service lacking, I mentioned my blog and they then kissed our ass-s for the rest of our stay. For the price, this shouldn't have been necessary, but it worked. We'll see.

      Delete