Search This Blog

Monday, June 12, 2023

Letters to the Editor

The letters, below, were not published by 'The Globe and Mail'.  At least one or two should have been because they are all good letters, but I am sure The Globe has decided to block me because they must deem me too right-wing.  Funnily enough, I'm not, but I am definitely not politically-correct and that would be unacceptable for that newspaper.

The fact that my essay had already been scheduled for Mothers' Day, that I had signed all the legal waivers and yet -- oops!-- it was cancelled when it went up the line proves this to me.  As I said, my name is unique in the entire world, so google it and my blog comes up.

I have decided the next piece I pen for 'The Globe and Mail' will be signed by a nom de plume, like George Elliott, for example.  I have many to choose from, beginning with my birth name, my adoptive name or my first married name.

As far as The Globe is concerned, Nancy Marley-Clarke will officially no longer exist.  I'll let you know when I am next published.  

There are always two ways to skin a cat!  Here are the letters that were not published: 

______________________

1.  Dear Editor,

Ironically, just as Britain is tightening its ‘Minimum Income Rules’ for family re-unification because of overwhelming numbers, Canada’s minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship announces we are loosening our own. 

Maybe we should look around the world first and benefit from what other countries are experiencing before we make changes.  This might avoid predictable chaos.

2.  Dear Editor,

Did Justin Trudeau suspect David Johnston would recommend against calling for a public inquiry into foreign interference when he tabled his report?  I suspect Mr. Trudeau must have, otherwise why would he have recklessly vowed in advance to accept all of Mr. Johnston’s recommendations?

It’s sad that Mr. Johnston has decided to dig in and defy Parliament’s wishes and not resign.  His previously sterling reputation is now irrevocably besmirched because when you smell a rat, there’s always a rat to be smelled.

3.  Dear Editor,

David Johnston has finally resigned, but what I cannot understand is Mr. Johnston’s lack of clarity on what constituted his mandate and to whom he was reporting. 

He said he would carry out the mandate given him by the government.  But Justin Trudeau, the person who arbitrarily appointed him, is not  “the government”.  The government consists of three branches:  The executive, the legislative and the judicial.  It is surprising that Mr. Johnston, a learned man and ex-governor general, failed to grasp that basic tenet and instead clung to a determination to carry on and report to one person, to whom he kept referring as “the government”.

Although he has done the right thing by resigning, I fear his once-sterling reputation is now permanently besmirched. 

4.  Dear Editor,

A couple of years ago, I heard Globe and Mail reporter Bob Fife say on television, “The NDP is toast.”  His prediction always comes to mind when I hear NDP leader Jagmeet Singh say he will uphold the supply and confidence deal he has made with the Liberals, regardless of his party’s opposing position on any given issue.

I suspect Mr. Singh secretly agrees with Mr. Fife and fears an election will reduce the number of NDP seats, including perhaps his own. 

No, I don’t think it’s ideology that keeps the NDP in bed with the Liberals.  It’s survival instinct, pure and simple.

5.  Dear Editor,

Justin Trudeau talks of stretched resources for fighting devasting wild fires out of one side of his mouth, while out of the other pledges another $500 million in aid to Ukraine.   We have already given Ukraine $8 billion, money that could have gone to saving Canadians’ homes and wildlife.

The job of a prime minister is to serve Canadians and protect the country.  Unfortunately, our prime minister, like Nero,  prefers international virtue-signaling and fiddling while “Rome” burns.

____________________

No comments:

Post a Comment