Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Only if they have money

I regularly frequent the only Dim Sum restaurant in Northwest Calgary and I love looking around and studying the Chinese culture, embodied in the families there.  What I have observed is that, unlike our culture, Chinese families include three generations when they dine out -- regardless of the mobility, or lack thereof, of ancient or handicapped members.

"Why do Chinese women marry Caucasian men, but Chinese men do not marry Caucasian women?" I asked one of my regular servers.  "They are only permitted to marry outside their race if the woman has money," she told me.  So there you have it:  A complete analysis of Chinese family mores.

I guess that means that a Chinese woman who marries a Caucasian has money, otherwise that pairing would be prohibited too.  How sensible, I thought.

Speaking of the Chinese, we are watching a fabulous series on Netflix called 'American Rust'.  It's about a derelict midwestern US town decimated by the collapse of the steel and manufacturing industries.  Drugs have replaced everything and everyone is on them.  Starring Jeff Daniels, he of the marvelous 'Dumb and Dumber movies, the show made me think that the Chinese don't have to go to conventional or nuclear warfare with the US, they are doing it just as successfully with fentanyl.  

How brilliant!  The Chinese own every drug manufacturing company going and they are successfully killing the West with their products.  Think about it, folks.  That's what's happening.

____________________________

On a cleaner note, I have discovered that I am not alone in my love of clotheslines.  I have joined the 'A World of Washing' facebook group, where I enjoy postings and paintings of laundry flapping in breezes around the world.  I love my clothesline and so, apparently, do millions around the world. 

I am part of the 31,500 members of this group who share our love of this old-fashioned, low-tech, green household appliance:

Laundry day in Naples


Another beautiful painting of laundry lines.

Magnificent painting

My own line last summer.




1 comment:

  1. I just put up a clothesline for my daughter. It is 75 feet long. It starts on her elevated deck. … Bob

    ReplyDelete