Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Everyone's fat

Every time we go out to eat, I notice that everyone's fat these days.  Don't panic, I include myself, but the people I'm talking about aren't middle-aged with disappearing waistlines like me.  No, I'm talking about young men and women in their thirties and forties who are actually obese.

Why is that?  I have no clue?  I once asked my father, "Daddy, why are some people fat?"  "Just look at what they eat, dear," he replied.  I guess that must be it, processed food and sugar.  The saddest are the fat children.  That's child abuse, in my world.

Child abuse.

When I was a kid in the fifties, there was no such thing as processed, or fast, food.  It was all prepared from scratch and we NEVER ate out.  Oh, about once a year, when my Mother's uncle would visit from Toronto, he'd take the family to the wonderful, now gone, 'Green Valley' restaurant off Prince of Wales drive.  What a treat!  But, that was about it.

Back then, I don't recall any fat kids in my classes.  There might have been one or two here and there in the entire school, but we were all skinny.  That's because we ran around all day and didn't have cellphones or tablets.  We actually played sports and games, not watched them on a screen.

The seventies, no one's fat.

When I see fat thirty-something people I say, "What will they look like when they're my age?!"  It's funny to watch TV and see a multitude of ads for greasy foods running alongside ads for weight-loss products.  Does no one get the connection?

Oh well, think I'll pop upstairs and grab a vodka-tonic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment