Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Sisterhood is about to gather

When I talk about "The Sisterhood", I mean the women's lib movement because that's what it really is -- women gathering with women, talking about injustices done to women, women often moaning about what men have done to them, how their husbands were ogres, their male bosses tyrants....and on and on. By the way, some of the most successful tyrants I have ever worked for have been women. But enough about envy in the workplace. I know the "movement" has wrought considerable good, but when I want to reflect on what's gone right and wrong in my life, I just look in the mirror. That's where it's all happening, ladies; right in that mug staring back at me. So it is with considerable excited antipation that I look forward to an International Women's Day breakfast to which I have been invited. Yes, I plan to go -- if only to do important research for an upcoming blog. I have not been directly invited, rather I have been invited by an invitee who can't face going alone. Kind'a ironic because haven't we all had ultimately to go it alone as women? And this friend is definitely a success story, but as a authentic Ottawa Valley girl, no surprise there. The Valley is filled with tough, no nonsense women raised by tough, no nonsense mothers. Try and get B.S. by her and you will be tripped up, but Oh So Elegantly!

One question always stymies me: why only a day for women, when we have month for black history and a week for aboriginal awareness? Ah well, this will be just one of the questions I will pose at the breakfast. The responses should be edifying!

More later.............Just back from swimming and an encounter with an elderly gentleman who waited, holding the door for me, as I caught up with him. "After you," he gallantly offered. I
replied, "with compliments to your mother, thank you." He beamed, "not many of us left." I added, "I know and we women can thank ourselves for that sad state of affairs."

Well, off to meet for lunch a kind, loyal, romantic, gentle, deferential, brave and decidedly alpha male -- my hubby, Brian.

1 comment: