Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Into the wild blue yonder.......

Started my new "job" yesterday at the War Museum. The first thing I was instructed about was making the coffee. As a non-coffee drinker for the past 42 years, I definitely needed a lesson. Apparently, if I don't get the coffee right, everything else is downhill. So, your "gal friday" got down to business. And you better be sure the cookie jar is filled, said the 'toddler' I will be replacing. Yes mam! But I did give back one skill to the little lady who is moving to Kingston with her hubby -- a Canadian 'JAG' lawyer who has been transferred there. She has been on the job for three years, but has not been able to figure out how to change the voice mail message of her predecessor. I proudly did it in two minutes. Maybe she will not be such a hard act to follow? We also visited the mail room and met the mail boy -- another of my chores. So is ensuring the coins tossed into the fountain are dried and counted. I will not actually be doing this, but I will have to schedule the chore. I was amazed at the amount of money this brings into the museum.

But my real job will be as Secretary to the Board of Directors. I will also be editing the newsletter and writing countless other stuff. My predecessor did not do any of this, but she made a damn good pot of coffee! I can't wait to strike out in the mail room on my own!

Went to the fashion show I mentioned last time. With three girlfriends to laugh with, I loved every minute -- except the clothes. The models were older than we were, so that helped our self esteem. But the prices! "Ladies, this next outfit features a darling bolero jacket at only $358." Whaaaat!!!??!!! There must have been 75 women in the restaurant and I guessed that only about 20% were still with an actual dreaded man. The rest were devoted members of The Sisterhood, believe me. Don't get me started!

I am writing another short story and if I can figure out how to attach it to my blog, I will. It's about a middle-aged woman who has just buried her husband and is contemplating her life, her children and her future. (If you want a read, send me an e-mail and I will share it with you.) Not finished yet because I can't decide what happens to our heroine. Will she die too? Will she meet another man? Will she travel? Will she....? I have no clue yet. Lots of fun. What amazes me is that when I start a story, it just writes itself and I follow along.

1 comment:

  1. Great, can't wait to read. I'm about half way through mine, I'm not sure that mine is "writing itself" though. Good luck with the coffee and cookie jar! PS. not sure that you want to write that you "got down and did the dirty" in the coffee room! too funny! ;)

    ReplyDelete