Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Back into the War Paint -- literally

I have decided to get back into the war paint and high heels. I will be working at the Canadian War Museum two mornings a week, doing whatever they need. I think it was my writing skill that did the trick. Funny how the world has tossed writing aside in favour of tweeting and texting, but the minute someone appears who can string a few words together coherently they are pounced upon. The interview was great because I really didn't care if they took me on or not. That was the first time I had ever been up for a job where I just said whatever popped into my mind and a few zingers emerged. I even told them about meeting the Queen, which had them howling. So, I will be entering a whole new world filled with our honourable past and meeting older heroes and heroines -- many of them dedicated volunteers -- who have battled their way out of the rat race into calmer waters. I was warned that many have "fully-formed" personalities and are used to giving orders -- especially to women. Well, at my age and stage, most of us have "fully-formed" personalities, so I will rely on my sense of humour to translate an agenda people might not be thrilled with. Funny how you can say the cruelest things to people with self-deprecating humour and they are able to buy it with a hearty laugh. Looks like I will be dusting off the high heels, giving the dried up makeup a shake and jumping into the workforce again. I kinda like the idea of working with older folks because I may appear younger as a result.

One anecdote about the interview. When I arrived I went up to a HUGE information desk, with "INFORMATION / RENSEIGNMENTS" plastered all over it and had the nerve to disturb a young man to ask where the "Friends" office I sought was located. "Uh, I'm not sure." Turning to another young woman seated beside him he asked, "Michelle, sait-tu ou se trouve le bureau des amis?" "Aucune idee." Speechless for only a split second I said, "How can you not know where their office is?" "It's none of my business," he actually-in-all-truth-honest-to-G-d-I-am-not-making-this-up replied. Unbelievable! He told me that the location of the office I wanted was "really none of his business". Turns out it was just down the hall about 100 yards. But since it was past the coffee shop, I guess the guy never ventured down there after buying his coffee, preferring to grab the caffeine and head straight out for a nicotine fix. Your tax dollars at work there people! I mentioned this in the interview and told them they had a little work to do on the "Information / renseignments" side of the operation. When I think of the folks who would kill for a chance to sit in a beautiful building and play video games all day I am amazed and pissed off. So, for my first assignment...

No comments:

Post a Comment