Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

On this Holiest day of the liturgical year

As we comtemplate the crucifixion of our Lord on this holiest day, I thought I would share my thoughts about the latest media frenzy on sex abuse. When people want to talk about it, I always say that this crime is committed by people, but the eucharist and Christ remain pure. Sadly, pedophiles are found in every institution and I am glad they are being outed and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The Catholic Church as a corporate institution has been guilty of coverups in this area for years, but no longer is this possible. Thank God for this. Happily, when I attend Mass I am still comforted by the ritual, the constancy and the peace I experience through the eucharist.

But I wonder, is the Catholic Church the only religious institution in which abuse has occured? Obviously not, but it is the only one that makes the evening news and is routinely publically castigated. I agree with the castigation, but not about the hiding or covering up of abuse in other religions. At the risk of sounding protective about Catholics, I will say no more. But I strongly support abuse being outed and prosecuted in all sects. Let's air this whenever we get the chance. But let's not forget Christ in all this. Let's not reject Christ because of the crimes of deeply flawed humans. By the way, Pope Benedict, although discouraged from doing so when he was a cardinal, went over the heads of his superiors and did pursue charges against the priest currently in the media. He was successful in having this pedophile removed.

Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment