Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mixed Martial Arts


Well, here I am in Vancouver, blogging from my daughter and son-in-law's living room, watching Mixed Martial Arts. MMA should really be called "fight to kill". These crazy men battle each other mercilessly to the death, if it gets to that. As a mother, I find it hard to watch. Nothing is out of bounds, anything and everything goes, as they pound each other in the head, eyes, ears and every other part of the body. Watching the mat fill up with blood I find it hard to handle. Is there a point here, except to excite? And in that it succeeds.

Before we returned here, we had a delightful day driving up the Sea to Sky Highway to take a tour of the Britannia Mine, now closed since the '70s. A big thank you to the unions here.


Now I am back in my condo, after a great week out west. But a note of caution to anyone travelling to Vancouver. Is this the crime capital of Canada now? Three years ago I had my wallet stolen, with all my cards.......a huge hassle to replace everything. In two hours the thieves had racked up more that $2,000 worth of expenditures. This trip, I was contacted by mastercard after using my card once and they cancelled it on the spot. Then Brian had some unknown charges on his while we were on the government-run ferry! The crooks always seem to be ahead of the rest of us.

But seeing my daughter happy with her wonderful husband and adorable puppy was so gratifying -- even if puppy Pearl decided I was the target of the week and wanted to chew on all my jewellry and clothes. Colin and Susanne decided it was my "Cruella" look that attracted Pearl -- you know, long, flowing coats and lots of bling. Pearl was determined to either subdue me or win me over and she was relentless in her efforts. Colin helpfully sent me a cartoon depiction of Cruella, which I will now use for my blog photo, if I can ever figure out how to upload it (duh?).

I have decided that Vancouver is better off with my firefighter son-in-law in charge of a wee piece of it. He is so calm, cool and collected, so competent and polite -- not to mention devastatingly handsome and charming -- that all who come into contact with him on (and off) the job must feel immediately reassured. You just take one look at him and know all will be well when he takes charge.

Now back to my real life.

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice blog! Thanks, I will forward it to Colin. We have told many people the funny Cruella story! It just gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete