Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

The joys of cortisone

Went this afternoon for my second shot of cortisone in a hip. For five or six years I have been suffering mightily with hip pain. Assuming it was arthritis, I tried to ignore it . Who wants the hassle of a hip replacement, unless it's to get smaller ones installed! Finally I could live with the pain no longer. Off I went for an X-ray and low and behold, I have neither arthirtis not osteoporosis. I have bursitis. This is a very painful ailment, but at least it's semi-fixable. A month ago I went for a cortisone shot in the worst hip and miraculously it subsided. Today I had the other hip shot up and guess what, it's so much better. To think that I suffered for so long with something two shots fixed.

Wandering through the General Hospital today was so depressing. Sick people everywhere. The ones who really slew me were those outside the cancer clinic in wheelchairs -- smoking. Sad, sad, sad. The whole place is a village of confused people. No one knows where to go; when they get there they have the wrong card and have to go somewhere else in another wing to get a new one; they have the wrong date for their appointment; they can't speak English...bewilderment abounds. The doctors, nurses and other staff wink and nod to each other as they walk the halls -- the only people in-the-know in the entire place. The rest of us are aliens and pretty much a huge bother to them.

The biggest movie going there is to be found at the parking machines. You better pay your multi-million dollar parking ticket before you head back to the garage because there is no staff out there to take your money. And just try to figure out how to pay your ticket in those rube-goldberg machines! I don't care how many university degrees you have, it can't be done! Having figured it out, I had to coach a bunch of mystified victims through the process. And when I got to the checkout, I had to back up to let a couple of cars back out because...........they hadn't figured out the parking payment machines in advance and their tickets would not let them leave. It was like the twilight zone --no one can escape. Yes folks, the hospitals are definitely designed for the staff -- not for the great unwashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment