Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Marvin Gaye and Chinatown

I am listening to Marvin Gaye, 'Heard it Through the Grapevine' --what a great tune. The rest of the CD will be as distracting. Just to report that a movie I watched last evening prompted me to visit Chinatown today. There was a Chinese woman in the film who wore silk jackets. Ladies, head right to your local Chinatown, if you want to find a great deal. Parked the car in a very seedy part of the district and went into a tacky, grubby store filled with....well, everything...china, lamps, junk, junk and more junk. But hanging in a jumble on a rack were about 25 beautiful silk jackets. They were ABSOLUTELY stunning. Two men came rushing up and I started trying them on. The changing room consisted of..........the two men holding my coat while I stood inside the front door looking into a hand-held mirror. Bottom line: I bought a hand-made, silk-on-silk, beautifully-lined and hand-embroidered evening jacket for $39. Beat that. And that's $39 Canadian. I felt almost guilty as I left with my gem.

Every city and town in Canada has a Chinatown. Think laterally. Treasures are to be found there and this Christmas I will be building my wardrobe around this jacket. Back to 'Let's Get it on' with Marvin.

No comments:

Post a Comment