Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Egypt

Can't turn on a tv, radio, read a newspaper.........you name it without being lambasted with Egypt. Why? I am getting sick of it. Just to put it into perspective, read this morning that the world financial markets are unphased by the turmoil there. Guess it's not all that important -- except to "egyptian" Canadians. They rave across the land by the hundreds, screaming into cameras about how their "country" is suffering. Hold on, I thought your country was Canada? No? Guess not. These people came to Canada for a better life, but many of them immediately turn around and go right back to where they were born to live permanently -- unless, of course, they manage to squeeze into the US, where everyone from anywhere always wants to live. Can't tell you the number of taxi drivers I have chatted with who have told me they only came to Canada because they couldn't get into the states. Enrages me.

We all agree, democracy is the ideal for all countries and I hope it happens in Egpyt. The reality remains that Canada is the first resort for people fleeing oppression, but the last resort for where they want to live. As usual, when the inevitable do-do hits the dictatorial fan they want us to pay to fly them out. Another Lebanon. As I said, I am sick of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment