Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Banff and Marilyn Monroe

Thought of her today. Spent the day in Banff and had lunch at the Banff Springs Hotel, where she and Robert Mitchum stayed while filming "River of No Return". Saw it again the other day on TCM. A pretty dumb movie, but it was filmed in Banff. (Who knew Tommy Retig -- who played the child -- had died years earlier at age 54?)

Driving out there today, I marvelled at what a gorgeous country Canada is. The Canadian Rockies cannot be beat. I absolutely love Canada!

Of course, lunch was marred by ulgy Americans. There they sat, tractor hats on heads, bursting jeans, fat, yapping with heavy, southern accents. Why do southern accents make me think "redneck"? Two couples were sitting at separate tables, talking across to each other and annoying the rest of us who had to listen to them. Canadians are so tolerant.

But I thought of Marilyn all day. What a fabulous star she was. I remember exactly where I was when I heard she had been found dead. I was in Maine, on holiday with my family. I was 15 years old. It was shocking.

She is still the most beautiful star ever. As for Robert Mitchum, well, enough said. Gorgeous. Not sure who was more beautiful: Mitchum, William Holden or Cary Grant. No one holds a candle these days.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Nancy what about Gary Cooper, Paul Newman.
    Your reaction was exctly like mine when I lived in Italy for 3 months a year. The Americans were loud judgmental, wanted everything their way i.e. Mcdonald's at the bottom of the Spanish Steps. What could be worse?? One evening the Countess and I were walking up the Steps and an elderly American couple were always going up - The husband said to the wife "look at these old falling apart steps"? They are disgusting!!! Why don't they fix them up? The Woman said they are antique - Ha said he - Antique, what have the Italians done for the world except bring
    the Maria??? Well, I could not keep my mouth closed any longer. So I said what have you brought to the World "Vietnam and McDonald's"?
    Well,I actually thought he was going to hit me, before he could - the Countess said in her thick beautiful Italian Accent "Barbara I'm leaving pronto"!!!!! So we left- raging. Later she said we Italians are not good a war,
    we are better at Love"!!!
    Yes, Canada is one of the most beautiful places on this planet. Miss you, B.A.M.F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture you hauling off and landing that with the Americans! Too funny. They just stay ugly. People who say we are just like Americans are way off base.

    Miss you too! N

    ReplyDelete