Search This Blog

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Another old boyfriend

"Oh look who one of the speakers is tonight," said B, reading the programme.  "Your old boyfriend 'R'."  I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't.  We were in Montreal for Concordia's 'Homecoming' last evening and yep, there was 'R', one of the big-cheese speakers.

I rose from the table and walked all over the room trying to find him.  Couldn't.  "I know him," said a woman at our table, "I'll go get him."  She did and over he came with his wife.  I would never have recognized him in a hundred years.  Giving me the once-over, he probably thought the same.  It was a weird and awkward moment.  The band struck up and we headed for the dance floor.  I have to admit, it was kind'a cool, dancing with a man who was once your serious beau. 

In fact, the whole weekend was very cool.  Montreal is still Montreal.  Steak tartare is everywhere on every menu and I indulged.  Absolutely love the stuff.  And "Montreal frites" are still "Montreal frites".  The best.  Although fluent, I refused to speak a word of French the whole time, thanks to that idiot Marois and her "cultural manifesto".

Looking down in the water, as I swam, I wondered what the view was?  It looked like the entrance to the hotel and I finally figured out that that's exactly what it was.  The bottom of the pool was a glass window, so I could see people coming and going, taxis and cars and doormen doing their thing.  I guess, had they looked up, they would have seen me swimming back and forth.  It was so "seventies".  Problem was the pool was extremely hot, but I did my laps.     

We had a whirlwind visit, but I am so glad to be home.         

No comments:

Post a Comment